Friday, February 12, 2010

I Got Hit By A Bus

Yesterday, I got hit by a bus.

This is not a metaphor. It's not an exaggeration, tall tale, or even a blatant lie.

It's the truth. And I am too pretty for it.

I was driving in Seattle, on my way home from work. I innocently took a right-hand turn, which caused my lazy car to cough and stall. With the remaining momentum, I strong-armed it to the side of the road and put my flashers on (why yes, I *have* done this before).

Cars zoomed around me, shooting me sympathetic, glad-it-wasn't-me glances. I was just happy I was safe.

That lasted maybe two minutes.

As the bright lights in my rearview mirror alerted me to the bus pulling around the corner, I realized... I was sitting at a bus stop.

And Seattle's buses run on cables.

Ohhhh...kay.

So. I'm fine, my car is okay, and now I have the pleasure of adding one more story to my repertoire. But this means that, at least for awhile, all whining I encounter gets met with, "Oh, yeah? I got hit by a BUS!"

There are perks to having public transportation vehicles plough into you, after all.

Plus, people tell you they're worried you're tweeting from the dead, and that's kind of awesome, too.

12 comments:

SurferWife said...

Good grief. I don't hear from you in like 18 years and you bring me this? Now I am going to be worried sick about you all week until I hear from you again. (I am a mother afterall, so the worrying comes easy for me)

Sara said...

AAAHHH!!!

Freakin' weekend, Christina!

I would have straight up fuh-lipped my biscuit. That is terrifying.

So glad you're okay and that the car is okay... although I'm not sure how that's possible.

You are way too pretty for that shit.

KTLately said...

I'm glad you're okay! Hope everything works out with your car too.
I've actually gotten hit by a bus before. A big yellow school bus that decided to speed up at a yellow light then plow into me while I was stopped behind someone turning left.
I had to wear a neck brace to high school.

Dave said...

Sheesh...only to you would this happen. :-)

Anonymous said...

whoa man, that's no fun.

gina marie said...

glad youre okay.

dont do that anymore ;)

Bethany said...

Oh my gosh! Not sure how I missed this but I'm very glad you're okay!

Anonymous said...

Well that'll shake you up!!!

Anonymous said...

I love when you casually mentioned this in text, maybe assuming I had been a good friend and already read this, and I thought you had broken ribs and was in a full-body cast!
Glad you aren't.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer Lynn said...

If only you had had a little camera to record it all....bet you could have won something.

Not sure what, but definitely something. with money. and a trophy. An awesome "I got hit by a bus, beat that" trophy. Awesomeness:)

kanishk said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.