Friday, November 11, 2011

In This Issue: Strangers Insult Me With Childhood References

After a long day at work yesterday, I stopped by the grocery store on my way home. Threw things into my basket without really thinking, and headed to the checkout line.

"How are you tonight?" the cashier asked.

"Hungry," I responded. My stomach grumbled in agreement.

"Hungry hippo," the cashier nodded.

"What?!"

"Nom nom nom!"

"Thank you for the comparison."

"No problem, loved that game!" Cheerfully clueless, he handed me my bag of groceries and I grumped off into the night.


I don't think I look anything like that when I eat.

4 comments:

Fijufic said...

Guys can be so stupid...

Bethany said...

Ay yi... yea, guys. What can we say? Do they ever grow up?

Sara said...

That's comparable to looking in your basket and saying, "Wow. Two pints of Chunky Monkey? Good luck with your thunder thighs."

And "nom nom nom"? Are you kidding?

Why not bring it on home with "By the way, those pants make your ass look fat...and not in a good way" ?

Also, I've seen you in person and you're lithe and pixie-like. Not a hippo in sight.

Anonymous said...

To be fair your checkout people in the USA do say some wierd stuff. In Britain they just tend to grunt. I like to give them a cheery "I'm sorry you hate your job so much" Still Musnt grumble. Hi Christina. I'm Sandy and I think I got here via Beths Blog. cheers